The day a cylone tore the roof off PS 59
by Ed Wendell
Jul 07, 2020 | 903 views | 0 0 comments | 54 54 recommendations | email to a friend | print
PS 59 at Rockaway Boulevard and 95th Avenue was destroyed 125 years ago this Monday by a massive cyclone.
PS 59 at Rockaway Boulevard and 95th Avenue was destroyed 125 years ago this Monday by a massive cyclone.
The current location of what was PS 59. For many years, this building was known as a Friendly Frost appliance store.
The current location of what was PS 59. For many years, this building was known as a Friendly Frost appliance store.
William Schmidt owned a saloon and hotel at the southeast corner of Rockaway Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue. Above the bar he kept a clock, and it was said he always kept the time just right.

When the cyclone struck, the front window of his establishment exploded, sending shards of glass and splinters flying. The debris struck the clock and it never ran again.

And that is how we know that the Great Cyclone of July 13, 1895 – 125 years ago next Monday – struck Woodhaven at 4:19 p.m.

It had come from the west, originating in New Jersey and sweeping through East New York, uprooting trees and toppling tombstones in Cypress Hills cemetery. By the time it was done, it caused over a half-million dollars worth of damage, and that’s in 1895 dollars!

It first hit Woodhaven at Jamaica Avenue and Elderts Lane, near the future home of Franklin K. Lane High School.

Passengers on the Brooklyn, Queens County and Suburban Railroad, which had just been electrified the year before, huddled inside their derailed cars, sparks flying everywhere, as telegraph and trolley poles came crashing down around them.

One woman was trapped inside an outhouse as it was hurled more than a block away. Miraculously, she suffered only cuts and bruises.

A cow was swept up in the air and carried off, never to be seen again. Trees and chimneys were ripped from their foundations and flew through the air as if they were no heavier than feathers.

The worst scene of destruction was at the newly built two-story brick schoolhouse at University Place (95th Avenue) and Rockaway Road (today Boulevard). PS 59 had been built in 1890 on land purchased from famed manufacturer Florian Grosjean, whose clocktower on the border of Woodhaven and Ozone Park still stands today.

The roof of PS 59 was ripped off and the upper-half of the building collapsed. One block east of the school, 16-year-old newlywed Louise Petroquien was at her sewing machine when she looked out the window and saw the massive dark cloud approaching and ran outside to warn her mother.

She emerged from a side doorway, but before she could shout out a warning, a large beam from the roof of PS 59 slammed into her head and neck, killing her instantly.

In the days following the storm, over 100,000 people came to Woodhaven via the Long Island Railroad on Atlantic Avenue to view the damage.

While locals bustled about clearing away debris, visitors dropped coins and bills into barrels set up for the close to 300 people who lost everything, or nearly everything, to the storm.

The main attraction for the visitors, however, was the home of Ms. Petroquien. The family permitted visitors to enter through the door she had rushed out of, stepping over the very spot where she lost her life.

They were led into the parlor where they could view and pay respects to the young bride, who was laying in a rosewood coffin under a large pile of flowers that visitors could buy outside for ten cents. When the pile got too big, flowers were taken back outside where they were re-sold.

Another victim of the storm was five-year-old Johnny Kolb. The boy had been playing at the intersection of Atlantic and Rockaway when the storm hit, and afterwards he was discovered lying under the rubble by PS 59 school superintendent William F. Buckley.

Buckley was also a member of the Woodhaven Volunteer Fire Department, and heard the cries for help from the young boy. He carried Johnny Kolb inside where a doctor examined him and found that the boy had broken both an arm and a leg.

The next day his condition took a turn for the worse and he passed away, bringing the number of Woodhaven fatalities to two. Both Louise Petroquien and Johnny Kolb were buried in Cypress Hills cemetery on the same day.

Today, the intersection of 83rd Street and Rockaway Boulevard is now part of Ozone Park. There is nothing to indicate that this was once the scene of a powerful and destructive storm.

An office building stands where the school once stood. For many years, the building was well known as a Friendly Frost appliance store.

Only the fact that the storm struck on a summer Saturday afternoon prevented this from being a far more tragic tale. Had this happened on a school day with a building full of children, we’d be writing a far different story 125 years later.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet