Police make arrest in Forest Park sex assaults
by Patrick Kearns
Aug 08, 2017 | 1062 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Police announced the arrest of a man they believe is responsible for six sexual assaults in Forest Park from 2011 to 2013.

Mark Andrade, 45, of Richmond Hill, was arrested on Wednesday after a DNA match from a separate arrest in Nassau County.

“We’ve been working this case straight since 2013, since it’s inception,” said NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce. “We never really lost sight of it.”

In two of the crimes, a stun gun was used on the victims, and in one incident the victim was just 13 years old.

Andrade will initially only charged for the incident that took place on March 29, 2013.

“This one lady actually struggled with him and pulled a beer bottle out of his back pocket and threw it,” Boyce said. “We retrieved that bottle at the crime scene.”

Andrade has six prior arrests in Long Island, but none was at a level where his DNA would be entered into the state database. It wasn’t until he was charged with grand larceny in Nassau County that his DNA was collected and subsequently matched to the incident from March 2013.

Boyce said DNA was collected from another one of the six incidents, and they hope to add more charges going forward.

Elected officials praised the police department for making the arrest last week.

In the wake of the incidents, Assemblyman Mike Miller and State Senator Joseph Addabbo secured $250,000 for cameras in Forest Park. In 2016, after three years of delays, 14 cameras were finally installed.

“I am pleased the perpetrator that has raped and sexually assaulted women in and around Forest Park has been caught,” said Miller.

Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley promised to work closely with the Queens District Attorney’s office to make sure Andrade is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

“After years of terrorizing women in Forest Park, a solid arrest has been made,” she said.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet