Group protests murder charges in cop’s death
by Austin Havens-Bowen
Feb 27, 2019 | 6572 views | 0 0 comments | 346 346 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Community members on Monday protested the Queens District Attorney’s decision to charge the two suspects in the T-Mobile robbery that led to a cop’s death with murder.

Detective Brian Simonsen was killed by friendly fire after seven officers responding to the Richmond Hill store fired 44 shots. Sergeant Matthew Gorman was also injured in the incident.

Monday’s protest in Kew Gardens focused specifically on the felony murder charges brought against Jagger Freeman of Queens. The 25-year-old Freeman served as a lookout for Christopher Ransom, who committed the robbery.

Freeman fled the scene once cops arrived. Despite having no interaction with police, he is still being charged with murder.

Freeman’s fiancee Candace Wynn and their young daughter Kaysi Freeman were among the dozen or so protestors present at the rally.

Community members view the decision to charge both men with murder as a severe overreach on the part of the DA.

“We are people trying to make a stand and not let things continue as they are,” said Kenny Carter, founder and president of Fathers Alive In The Hood (FAITH). “We will be back here every Monday for as long as we need to.

“We need to invite those running to be the new district attorney and see what their perspective is,” he added.

The 27-year-old Ransom was also injured in the incident and arraigned via video form his hospital bed.

The Brooklyn resident was charged with second-degree murder, robbery and aggravated manslaughter, among other charges.

The charges state that Ransom entered the T-Mobile store wearing a mask and demanded the employees hand over phones and money from the cash registers and safe.

He exited the store pointing a weapon, that was later determined to be fake, causing police to fire.

“The defendant is accused of exiting and pointing what appeared to be a firearm at responding police officers, which, regrettably, led to the death of one police officer and the wounding of another,” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet